PLEASE...

PLEASE... CONSIDER USING THE BLOG ARCHIVE TO THE RIGHT...OTHERWISE BOTH RECENT AND OLD POSTS WILL GET LOST IN THE MIX!!

AND PRETTY PLEASE... CONSIDER FOLLOWING ME DIRECTLY ON MY BLOG SITE... I MAY DISABLE ALERTS ON TWITTER AND FACEBOOK IN THE FUTURE... STAY ON TOP OF GOINGS ON BY FOLLOWING ME (SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN AND TO THE RIGHT)

Many Thanxs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search This Blog

LIFELINE

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A DEDICATION TO TJ (TOM): "Like A Prayer" by Madonna

While driving to P.S. I was inspired by the views to dedicate a song to one of my best friends, TJ.  I had been racking my brains trying to come up with a song for the person who has been there for me whenever I need him over the past year and a half that we have known each other.

Once he asked me to guess what his favorite Madonna song was.  I think I said "Live To Tell" which is one of my favorites.  WRONG!! he said.  I should've known.  Just knowing Tom I should have guessed that his favorite song was "Like A Prayer".  It is a powerfully spiritual song, just like TJ.

And how many times had Tom told me that he was praying for me??  I chuckled a bit when I realized that I could dedicate his favorite song to him.  OF COURSE!!

"
"Like A Prayer" by Madonna


I remember how controversial this video was when it came out.  I believe that Pepsi backed out of a sponsorship deal because of the religious images that appeared in the video.  Sometimes artists run the risk of conveying the message behind their songs in too literal a way when they shoot a music video.  This video however is full of complex and powerful images that are open to interpretation by the viewer.

This song is both an IMPACT song and a JAM.  I would rate it * * * * * * (six stars) in my iTunes if only it were possible!!  As it is, six stars is off the charts, just like the song is off the hook.

Tom has inspired me to realize my dreams this past year.  I finally found a great job as a literacy coordinator at a branch of the Los Angeles Public Library system.  I love my job helping to set others (adults who cannot read) free by matching them with volunteer tutors who give them the gift of knowledge and power by teaching them literacy.

"Just like a prayer, your voice can take me there".  That is exactly what Tom has done for me, just as the tutors take their students to a place that is unimaginable.

Live, from the Sticky & Sweet Tour

This one was called the Pepsi Remix on YouTube

a recent Live stripped down performance with choir
En vivo, subtitulado en Español

a cover by the GLEE cast

Live, The Blonde Ambition Tour (performed in Barcelona)

No comments: